- Population: 391,495 residents (2016).
- Area Code: (504).
- Tax: 14.75% tax + $1.00 - $3.00 Occupancy Fee on hotel rooms depending on the size of the hotel, 9.75% sales tax on purchases .
- Time Zone: Central Standard Time (CST).
- Average daily temperature: Jan- 51.3° F (10.72° C); June - 81.9° F (27.72° C).
- Credit Cards and Charge Cards are widely accepted. Some centrally located ATMs in New Orleans are at the First National Bank of Commerce, 240 Royal Street, Hibernia National Bank, 701 Poydras Street, and Whitney National Bank, 228 St. Charles Avenue.
Tipping is expected in cafes, restaurants, bars and spas. The going rate in restaurants is 15% - 20% or more of the bill; never tip in a fast-food or self-service environment.
Additional suggested tipping amounts:
- Porters and bellboys anticipate around $1 - $2 per piece of luggage.
- Valet Parking: $2.00-$3.00 to attendant.
- Housekeeping Services: $2.00 - $3.00 /day.
- Taxi/Towncar: 15% of total.
- Concierge Services: $5.00 +.
Shuttle Service: Shuttle service is available from the airport to the hotels in the CBD for $24.00 (per person, one-way) or $44.00 (per person, round-trip). Three bags per person. Call 1-866-596-2699 or (504) 522-3500 for more details or to make a reservation. Advance reservations are required 48 hours prior to travel for all ADA accessible transfers. Please call in advance of your travel date for the specially-equipped shuttle to be reserved. For group reservations of 50 or more people please dial 1-866-596-2699. Ticket booths are located on the lower level in the baggage claim area.
Streetcars: RTA is fully operating its #2 Riverfront Streetcar line (runs from French Market Riverfront stop at Esplanade to the Convention Center) and its full #47 Canal Streetcar line (runs the full length of Canal Street to the Cemeteries terminal, also including the Carrollton Spur). Both lines run 7 days per week from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. The streetcars, because of their historic designation under ADA, are not accessible to the disabled.
Bus Routes: This service requires 61 buses during peak hours on weekdays, 51 during the midday, 36 buses on Saturdays, 32 buses on Sundays, and 5 streetcars every day of the week. Local fare is $1.25 per ride, or you can purchase a one-day unlimited Jazzy Pass for $3.00, or a three-day unlimited Jazzy Pass for $9.00.
Famous New Orleans Restaurants:
- Commander's Palace
- Emeril's Delmonico
- Restaurant August
- Palace Cafe
- Bourbon House
Jazz Clubs and Music Halls:
- Krazy Korner
- Republic New Orleans
- The Praline Connection
- Old Opera House
- Maison Bourbon Jazz Club
- Preservation Hall
- New Orleans Museum of Art
- New Orleans Botanical Garden
- New Orleans Pharmacy Museum
- Hermann-Grima/Gallier Historic House
- Southern Food and Beverage Museum
- Longue Vue House and Gardens
- VooDoo Spiritual Temple