- Population: 685,094 (2017 estimate)
- Area codes: 617 and 857
- Time zone: EST (UTC-5)
- Weather: Humid continental climate with coastal influences keep spring and fall generally mild, with warm, humid summers and cold, snowy winters.
- Average precipitation: 42.5 inches per year
- Boston sales tax: 6.25%
- City Hotel Tax: 14.45%
- Credit Cards and Charge Cards are widely accepted. ATM machines can be found in many major downtown department stores, hotels, and convenience stores.
Logan International Airport
New England's largest transportation center, Logan International Airport, recently completed a $4-billion major expansion and modernization. All four passenger terminals were renovated and upgraded with additional parking, easy access, expanded retail options and additional restaurants.
There are numerous airlines that service Logan International Airport, including American Airlines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines, Copa Airlines and Sun Country Airlines.
Logan Airport is located a convenient two miles from the city center, with several public airporttransportation options from downtown and suburban locations. There are approximately 40 airlines that serve Boston. Learn more about Logan and find information about airlines, flights, security and directions to the airport.
Boston is also serviced by these regional airports:
- Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (Manchester, NH)
- T.F. Green Airport (Providence, RI)
- Worcester Regional Airport (Worcester, MA)
Boston's public transportation system is operated by the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority, but locals know it simply as the "T". It offers subway, bus, trolley car and boat service to just about everywhere in the Greater Boston area and beyond. Subway stops are color coded - Red Line, Green Line, Blue Line, Orange Line or Silver Line.
To ride the T, you need to purchase a CharlieCard or CharlieTicket. These can be purchased at every subway station at vending machines and at select convenience stores. The basic fare is $2.75 for a CharlieTicket or $2.25 for a CharlieCard and kids - 11 years and younger - ride free! And your Charlie Card will provide you with more than 75 discounts on attractions during your visit.
For specific information on routes and schedules, call the MBTA at 617-222-3200 or visit mbta.com. Information is in six languages and the website offers a very useful "Trip Planner" to get you to your destination.